The Hut is only available to families or small groups during the Covid-19 emergency Level 1.
NB: recent severe flooding of the Glen Esk Valley has caused prohibition of tenting by Auckland Council.
This small tramping/camping hut at Piha was built soon after The Boys’ Brigade in Auckland was given the right to have it in the Auckland Centennial Memorial Park in 1954. Situated by the stream, behind the Fire Station, it is a short walk to the beach at South Piha, and via Garden Road, to North Piha Beach, as well as to the Glen Esk Falls.
For 50 years the hut was used for small camps by local BB Companies all over Auckland. The photo shows a 52nd Auckland Company camp about 1970. The hut has 8 bunks, a simple kitchen with water, no electricity and was named in the 1990s after Nigel Hanlon, a Boy from the 56th Auckland Company killed in an accident.
Today it has been refurbished and is available for hire by BB and ICONZ groups as well as by other groups and families. Contact BBNZ at (09)4481157 for bookings and details. . . 52nd Auckland Company camp in the 1970s
The Auckland Centennial Memorial Park later came under the control of the Auckland Regional Council, and more recently the Auckland Council, with which the Trust has a lease agreement. Council recently upgraded the toilet facilities, major flooding in 2018 damaged them and Council has repaired them.
The Trust and Auckland Council are trying to work out a long-term solution to this climate change problem.